Tuesday 5 April 2016

Barry Update: Back To Happy, Boundless Energy Dog!

Hi All,


Just thought I'd give you an update on Barry and let you know he's back to normal now after his recent stay at the vets with sickness problems. He's back to going everywhere at a million miles an hour and back to hounding me to play with him and his toys (Barry's motto is; "if one toy fails to get them to play, bring them another... and another!").










We've enjoyed getting back to lots of walks off-lead again and we can only hope he won't eat things he shouldn't. He's not too bad really, I know some dogs are complete scavengers, Barry is more of a 'taste and continue' kind of dog and you'll never be able to stop them completely! Much to Barry's amusement when I shout because he's just gulped down a little pile of rabbit droppings only for him to almost smile back and open his mouth, tongue lolling and say "swallowed them!". I even went for a run with him the other day; the first run I've done in a long while and reminded me I'm rather un-fit running, but could walk and walk for miles. Barry thought it was great fun running along and every time I slowed down to get my breath back he'd come racing up to me as if to say "why have we stopped?" He's certainly a very fit dog.










He's been a fantastic guard dog this weekend too while Jack has been away. I did sneak him up to bed with me on Friday night seeing as Jack wasn't there to tell me off, but Barry is the most annoying dog to share a bed with! My Nan used to have a gorgeous big Boxer called Tess that would sleep on the bottom bunk bed with me when I stayed there as a young child and Tess used to stay stock still all night, does a small Jack Russell in a big King Size bed do this? No he does not. He insists on sleeping practically in my face, meaning I can't move the covers and if I try to then Barry dives under them quickly because he likes burying himself in the covers. Every time I did manage to nod off I'd get a little lick across my cheek as if to say "thanks for letting me stay up here mum". Needless to say, I got up at 5am to let him out for a wee (little sod laid back on the covers to tell me he wasn't moving!), then returned to bed where he'd already shot up the stairs and snuggled himself in with his head on my pillow!!! For the rest of the weekend he's been sleeping quite happily back on his bed downstairs and I've enjoyed a few peaceful nights of sleep!












Em x

4 comments:

  1. We tried one night of Kara upstairs with us when she was unwell, never again Sol is not allowed on the bed and sleeps in his own bed downstairs I am very happy with that arrangement :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the perfect arrangement, one that we have with Barry too. Never again am I letting upstairs, he's too much of a pain! :-) x

      Delete
  2. Barry sounds just like Rocky. He is allowed on the bed when Mikes away & for a smaller dog likes all the space whilst curling himself into the small of my back. Pesky hound xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it seems to be quite a common trait doesn't it, you'd like to think that they realise what a huge privilege it is to share our bed but they own the house anyway don't they, we just pay the mortgage! x

      Delete