Thursday 3 September 2015

Birthday

I had a nice birthday yesterday, though sadly the majority of the day was spent at work!

Jack took me out for a lovely meal last night at a restaurant that opened about a year ago just outside of Newbury called The Woodspeen (http://www.thewoodspeen.com/).

 
The food there was amazing, probably one of the nicest restaurants I've been in. I had a lovely starter of Scallops, chicken wings and black pudding which was really tasty, while Jack had a terrine with amazingly fresh brioche (I must learn how to make it!)
 
My starter
 
I had beef fillet for main which came with an array of different vegetables, but the best was the beer cooked onion - so good! Jack had a lovely big steak (he's a big steak fan) with triple cooked chips which were amazing (have I already said amazing?)
 
My main; beef fillet, smoked potato, runner beans, beer cooked onion and truffle
 
I'm very grateful to Jack for treating me to a posh meal out, made me feel quite special on my Birthday! Especially as I'm usually more than happy to go to the local pub or to Nandos! Jack cooked for me on last year's birthday which was equally just as good, but it's nice to make the effort to go out sometimes and make an evening of it. The Woodspeen's prices were very fair for the quality of their food and the service was fantastic. I enjoyed it so much that I'm taking my Mum there this weekend for Sunday roast!
 
Mum arrives tomorrow and we have a quiet weekend planned. I'm sure I'll get home tomorrow to find she's let herself in and is cuddling Barry on the sofa, he's a ladies man is our puppy and loves being cuddled! I think we plan on going shopping in Newbury on Saturday and Jack is going indoor sky-diving on Sunday (as I've said before, he'll give any sport a go!). My Dad is going on a walking holiday in Whitby with his friends this weekend; they're all members of the CAMRA club and love real ales so it tends to be an energetic version of a pub crawl with 20+ mile walks in between pubs. My parents then leave for France next Tuesday and won't be back in England until November/December, so I'll miss them a lot. We are however going out to France in a few weeks' time which we're excited about.
 
How quickly this year is zooming by...

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday I'm a September baby too but mines nearer the end. Your food looks divine & is making me hungry. I am disgracefully behind on commenting on blogs & firmly blame work! I hope you all have a lovely family weekend. Love the idea of your dads energetic pub crawl that's the sort of thing Mike would be up for! Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, same day as my hubby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jo! We've missed you :-) Sounds like your work is a little stressful at the moment. What industry is your work in? I only ask when I heard servers mentioned. I work for an IT networking company and though we're fantastic at selling our products and services when it comes to a working printer in the office we just fail miserably which has been very frustrating for me these past few days with month-end! The energetic pub crawls are great, they come back having had a great time and with no wives there they can all snore as much as they like at night! They usually go to the Lake District and have done for the past 5+ years, but Dad's a Whitby fan and they found a house that sleeps 12 right in the middle of the beautiful Yorkshire countryside so there'll be plenty of walking and local pubs. Have a good day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Marlene, happy birthday to your hubby too!

    ReplyDelete